Thursday, June 23, 2011

At the American WWII cemetery near Cambridge

Returning from Cambridge, our driver Colin suggested we make an unplanned stop at the American WWII cemetery there, and we were very glad we did!



Superintendent Michael Green led us on a powerful and very moving tour. (note to future British study leaders: this is highly recommended, if you can fit it in).













Students even got to participate in the lowering the flag ceremony, quite an honor!



It was an experience none of us is likely to forget.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:England

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an impact this must have had.
    I saw this cemetery on an episode of Glob Trekker and even via television it left an impression on me. I can only imagine how it affected all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting, Mike. I saw the comment about future leaders taking students there, but I really have to stop leading "cemetery tours" of Europe. Wish Lee and I knew about it in 2007!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sue, I know. This would have really been appropriate for your program in 07. But I know our students got a lot out of it, even though it's not something we are touching on in class at all. It was one of those serendipitous experiences that make studying abroad the cool thing it is. At the very least I would say build enough flexibility into your program to allow these kinds of things to happen. You'll be glad you did!

    ReplyDelete